PLASTICS seeks a Director to join our Equipment Council team to lead domestic and international industry codes and standards activities. This includes managing PLASTICS’ ANSI standards development, evaluation, and approval processes, and facilitating participation in related activities, such as with ASTM International and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). This position is based in Washington, DC, and reports to the Vice President, Equipment Council.
Develops, implements, and manages PLASTICS’ American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standards Program. This includes responsibility for making recommendations, adhering to processes for maintaining ANSI accreditation, preparing for and leading audits, and ensuring accredited procedures comply with the ANSI Essential Requirements.
- Leads machinery safety standards committees and work groups.
- Manages the cyclical review and verification of machinery standards in compliance with ANSI process; responds to communications received through process.
- Works with consultant and international partners as necessary to promote the harmonization of standards and guidelines where possible and beneficial to the plastics industry.
- Researches and monitors other organizations’ codes and standards relevant for the plastics industry, including regularly reviewing publications and maintaining tracking documents.
- Alerts members and staff to codes- and standards-based issues to ensure members have a voice and can properly engage in the process.
- Represents PLASTICS or provides support on relevant codes and standards committees in NFPA, ASTM International, ANSI, and other organizations as identified by member interest.
- Interacts with other trade associations or state and national organizations to resolve inter-industry issues and concerns.
- Tracks standards sales and manage associated contracts, marketing, and promotion activities.
- Prepares and implements annual budget activities related to standards.
Ability to travel (<15%).
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in codes and standards management, with ANSI audit experience preferred.
- Knowledge of standards development and approval processes (e.g., ANSI and ISO) and policies. Achievement of SES Certification is highly valued.
You have experience with a codes or standards organization, government agency or trade association; current positions of leadership or participation within relevant organizations is a plus.
- You have a proven track record in building consensus and managing committees.
- You want to leverage your strong information technology skills and experience related to connected processes and systems.
- You are a self-motivated, collaborative, detail-oriented person who can effectively coordinate day-to-day operations in support of our members.
- You want to leverage your previous experience to further your knowledge of standards, the business aspects of a non-profit, and how to effectively support membership committees.
- Strong ability to clearly and persuasively write, speak and represent, especially on technical matters.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with attention to details, priorities, and timelines.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, research, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications.
Please send a cover letter including salary requirements and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.